Friday, September 26, 2008

Books Are Going To The Dogs


Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve probably heard Oprah announced her (adopt a loud, deep, excited voice and show the whites of your eyes) NEW BOOK CLUB PICK! It’s The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski. Oprah’s site describes the book as an “epic” novel about the “kinship between people and dogs.” Today I received an e-mail from Oprah, commanding me to “Show Us Your Sawtelle Dog!” The e-mail goes on to explain, “Author David Wroblewski wants you to create your own image of a Sawtelle dog so much that he won't even reveal what breed his own dog is! So, what does a Sawtelle dog look like to you? Is your dog one?” Apparently, “for generations, the Sawtelles have raised and trained a fictional breed of dogs,” described as having a “thoughtful presence.” I admit, I haven’t read the book. Ok, I admit I haven’t even bought the book. I’m still consumed entirely by I, Elizabeth (the English have won the war against Spain and now Elizabeth can concern herself with more domestic affairs, like executing those who don’t ask her permission before marrying. And she's getting old, so now I've started picturing Judi Dench. Go figure.). I admit I tend to cringe when faced with the prospect of settling in with a “dog” book. Ever since I had my first bout of deep depression after reading Where The Red Fern Grows, I’ve steered clear of the canine literary genre. I will read this book, though, if only because the entire world will be talking about it and I’d like to join that conversation. For the time being, however, having not read the book, I can’t say what a “Sawtelle dog” looks like to me (so, in an act of doggie-owner narcissism, I've posted a photo of my Husky, Misha). But I am interested in the question itself. No doubt this book will be made into a movie (first-time author, Oprah stamp of approval, animals and kids . . . I’m sure a script is already in the works). And if the breed of the dog is not revealed in the book, what kind of dog will be used in the movie? Dollars to doughnuts whatever breed is picked, people will be disappointed, having already created their own vision.

3 comments:

Kristine Kirchner Blanco said...

I share your sentiment about dog books. I do. I absolutely agree with your post on Marley and Me. Blech, blech, blech. I'm about 200pages in to the Sawtelle book and can attest that its so much more than a dog book. When I originally read this post (which was the impetus for me buying the book) I had no idea how someone could write about a fictional breed. But I get it now. And I have a picture in my head of a Sawtelle dog. I don't want to ruin it for anyone, but I venture to guess you'll take your personal favorite of man's best friends, from your favorite little Shitzu when you were 5 to the lab who loved you through college, combine them and voila, Sawtelle dog. Happy reading!

Kristine Kirchner Blanco said...

Please, wise casting one, read this books and bestow your wisdom on this topic. Am anxiously awaiting your picks!

Confetti said...

So, have you read it yet?